Pros and Cons of Juice Cleansing
June 2016, Customer Care Team
Are you currently doing a juice cleanse? Or maybe you are considering it as a way to eliminate toxin buildup in the body. Find out the pros and cons of juice and the best regime to use for faster, more nutritious hydration.
When former model Yolanda Hadid of “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” goes on a juice cleanse using lemons from her own personal orchard, naturally it’s tempting to gather up your own lemons and follow suit.
Hadid, who credits cleansing in part for her recovery from Lyme disease, says she tries to do a cleanse once a year as a way to detox and mixes the juice from her lemons with sea salt, maple syrup and cayenne pepper.
It allows her to take a fresh look at her diet, so afterwards she’s more likely to make smarter choices about the food she does eat.
But she is not alone; celebrities from Oprah and Beyoncé to Gwyneth Paltrow and Salma Hayek have popularised the idea of juice cleansing. Some stars have tried the approach as a quick way to lose weight, while others have done it to feel healthy after overindulging.
The theory behind juice cleanses:
Experts say that juice cleanses are safe as long as they last only three days. Juice cleanses can help kick-start a diet plan and reboot your body’s operating system.
However, before you decide to cleanse and spend a fortune on fresh organic fruits and vegetables, be sure to weigh up the pros and the cons of a juice cleanse.
Pros of a juice cleanse:
- You will, fill your body with nutrition. Being on a juice gives you not only the vitamins and minerals but also the all-important phytonutrients that are powerhouses for the clean-up and healing process.
- By nature, raw foods retain nutrients that would be destroyed by cooking, including some B vitamins and especially (digestive and anti-inflammatory) enzymes.
- A juice cleanse is a great way to jump-start a diet. It not only helps control appetite and cravings, but also is naturally lower in calories.
- To optimally support all phases of the body's natural detox process, you need a broad range of plant-supplied nutrients like anti-inflammatories and antioxidants. When you’re doing a juice cleanse which is high in green leafy vegetables, you’re providing your body with nutrient dense foods in ample amounts, to support the phases of detoxification, and even to begin to help remove the cumulative toxins stored in the body.
Cons of a juice cleanse:
- Juicing fruits and vegetables removes most of the fibre in them. While eating a limited amount of fibre, for a short period of time will not harm most people’s diets, remember fibre helps you to feel full and satisfied.
- Juice cleanses are low in calories, which will leave you with little energy to exercise and may disrupt your metabolic rate and blood glucose levels.
- You may experience gastrointestinal distress and frequent bowel movements.
- You’ll lose weight, however most of it will be water weight. You will also feel less bloated, but again it is the water weight, not fat. If you’re wanting to lose fat, a juice cleanse, alone is a good place to start, but not the answer.
- The cleansing and the starvation that comes from a juice cleanse are not so much fun to live with (for some people).
- During the first few days of a juice cleanse, a person initially burns their glycogen stores for energy. Using glycogen (the stored form of glucose) pulls a lot of water out of the body – that is what the short-term weight loss is.
- Finally you need to stick to the 80% vegetable 20% fruit ratio, ideally organic, otherwise you are packing your body with a whole lot of sugar in the form of fructose and the body deals with fructose the same way it deals with sugar – it turns it into fat.
Xtend-Life Natural Products has a very simple philosophy: We believe that a diet of whole, fresh foods is the cornerstone of a healthy lifestyle.
Nutrition and health is about the big picture. What you do for three days out of the year is pretty inconsequential. Rather than worry about a three-day juice cleanse, consider a long term, sustainable and deeper detox. If you’re aiming to boost immunity, and feel lighter we have a focused superfood range packed full of nature’s richest foods all ready to enjoy each and every day as part of your ongoing diet.
Zupafood ELITE and Zupafood GREENZ are a unique blend of superfood juices containing natural ingredients that help correct the toxic symptoms of modern life while allowing the body to return to a balanced and healthy status. Drink daily to boost your energy and mood, bolster your defenses, support your body's detoxification, relieve stress, and feel beautiful inside and out.
Save time and money juicing bunches of kale and spinach every morning. Prep time? Tip a sachet into your shaker, fill with water, shake and enjoy – it's as easy as that. We have done all of the work for you and we have created three different flavours all targeting different areas of health which you can enjoy when you’re on the go, to keep your health on track.
Check out our most recent blog Body pH and Alkaline Foods and learn easy ways to make a change today for a healthier, better functioning body tomorrow.